Let’s Talk About the DM
No, DM is not a dirty word! It’s how we message each other on social media. My generation is more likely to message via Facebook Messenger. The next generation is more likely to use Snapchat and Instagram messaging. I am more likely to
receive a message via Facebook than on my mobile device. Therefore, who needs text messages on a mobile device when you have Facebook messenger, Snapchat direct message, LinkedIn messaging, Twitter messaging, and Instagram Direct Messages. I will receive a faster response from my kids on Snapchat then any other tools.
I’ve negotiated a contract via Direct Message, followed up with clients, generated leads from a Facebook Live video and created group chats to follow up with my grade school friends. My friends are more likely to respond to a Facebook Direct Message than from a text message. Snapchat has changed the way I communicate with my techy friends, my real estate friends and my national connections.
Direct messaging isn’t new and today it appears that Direct messaging is the new “Cold Call”. We are spammed with automated DM’s to follow a business page or to check out a new thingy that someone is selling. If you’re a real estate agent only going for the hard sale in a DM you’re missing an opportunity to connect and generate a lead. A great way to master the DM on your platform of choice are:
- Know your audience, friends, family and sphere of influence. Are you connecting better on Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram or Snapchat? I’m more likely to a response from Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn. Why? These are my preferred platforms.
- Are you using the DM like an “Old School Cold Call”? Guess What? If you are, we are blocking you. If you call me to sell something without being a part of my network or a personal relationship you’re as good as blocked. I am more likely to connect with you when we’ve connected in person, I already know you personally or you’re offering to help me. Give before the ask.
- If you’re going to automate your Direct Message Marketing with tools like IFTTT, then consider the “thank you” response. How can you help the person you’ve just connected with? Are you an affiliate for the real estate industry? Provide a coupon for an agent’s client. Come to a networking event and meet an agent in person. Make the relationship personal and intentional. Get to know your network. YPN or Women’s Council is a great way to engage face to face. We want to see you as well as engage on social media.
4. Lead Generation – Direct messaging is a great way to generate leads. However, you’re more likely to generate those leads from people you already know or those that reach out to you. In the last 30 days, I receive two direct messages that have resulted into leads. One of those leads was a direct message from Snapchat. The other message was from Facebook Messenger. That lead should generate a new listing in the next 30 days.
5. How to generate leads with direct messaging! Make sure people know you’re in business. Use LIVE social media to tell people your story. Who is your audience? Tell your audience what they get from contacting you. If you’re a real estate agent remind your social network. Don’t let them forget that you’re in the business of buying, selling and creating lifestyle home ownership opportunities.